Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Internal Wisdom

“For the LORD grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.”

~ Proverbs 2:6


I am in a difficult season. My sweet boy has entered the infamous terrible-twos. “No,” “Stop it,” and flying hands and feet have become a norm in our household. So what do I do? Stock up on parenting books. Books about child-rearing, books about discipline, books about navigating these trials. As I was worshiping this weekend at church, I realized I was going about it all wrong.


Give me wisdom

You know just what to do.


As I sang those words, I realized that first and foremost, I should be going to God. I should be asking Him for wisdom in raising my children. I should be scouring His Word for guidance on how to discipline my children. I should be seeking Him for insight into how to navigate these trials. “For the LORD grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.”


All too often we seek direction from external sources. Whether it be books, or blogs, or friends, or our pastor. Whatever it may be, when we turn to external sources, we are short-changing ourselves. While there is nothing inherently wrong with those sources, they will never be able to grant you the wisdom, guidance, peace, and assurance that we can get by going to our Heavenly Father.


If you are a believer in Christ, you have a guide that is far more valuable and wise than any external source. You have the ability to speak personally with the Creator of the Universe. You have the Holy Spirit dwelling within you, interceding on your behalf. You have the gift of the Word of God at your finger tips. The precious gifts are far more valuable than any external source could ever be.


Lord, give me wisdom. You know just what to do. Remind me of the precious gift of the Holy Spirit you bestowed upon me when I gave you my life. Prompt me to seek you first, and trust that You are the source of wisdom, knowledge, and understanding. I love you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment