Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Simplify Part II

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” Colossians 3:23

God has been whispering the same word to me for months. Simplify. Last fall, it began with purging possessions; donating all those things that I was holding on to just in case I need them later, and blessing others who need them now.

But that wasn’t enough.

God continued to whisper, “simplify.” As I’ve been seeking Him over the past two weeks during the fast, the whisper turned to a shout. SIMPLIFY. And this time it wasn’t possessions. It was my schedule.

Like Craig talked about this weekend, I too bought into the idea that more is better. My days and weeks and months were filled. Filled with play dates. Filled with opportunities to minister to other women. Filled with time responding to emails. Filled with ministry. Even though each of these things is good, God was telling me to cut back.

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” Colossians 3:23

I was doing a lot of things. But I wasn’t doing them well. Every area of my life was getting shortchanged. Because I was spread too thin. I was not able to do them with all my heart. I was not able to do them with the fervor that those in my life deserve, that the Lord deserves.

So, once again, I simplify my life.

Instead of filling my days with play dates, I will be filling them with hours of intentionally pouring into my children. Instead of ministering to several other women, I will be ministering to just a few. Instead of spending time responding to emails, I will be spending time with my husband. In this season, my family is my ministry, and I desire to work for them with all my heart.

What is God telling you to cut back? How can you simplify your life?

Heavenly Father, thank you that you speak to us. Thank you that you see areas of our life that need to change, and love us enough to reveal them to is. Lord I pray that we have teachable spirits, and that as you show us areas of improvement, we walk in obedience, regardless of how difficult it is. I love you Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment