Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Choose to be Righteous

I was recently talking with a dear friend of mine. She was distraught about a broken relationship. As I sat there hearing her side of the story, I couldn’t help but notice the statements of justification peppered throughout. I was instantly reminded of a nugget of wisdom that has changed my life.

Choose to be righteous, instead of just right.


In her case, she was completely justified in the things that she did and said in the situation. The things she said were true, and her actions would be widely considered appropriate. But what did that leave her with? A broken relationship and piercing heartache. Sometimes we must choose to be righteous instead of just right.


God commands us to choose the righteous road. “If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also. If you are sued in court and your shirt is taken from you, give your coat, too. If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles.” Conventional wisdom would say that we would be perfectly justified in choosing to react differently. But we are not judged by conventional wisdom. We are called to be righteous, instead of just right.


Lord, give me the self-control to seek your wisdom and guidance before speaking and acting. Give me the clarity to recognize the righteous road and the strength to choose that road, even when my flesh is urging me elsewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment