Tuesday, November 1, 2011

You are Needed

I experienced something new today. As I was holding Adalyn, staring in the mirror making faces at her, I noticed crow’s feet. I’m sure they have been there for a while, but I’ve never noticed them. In that moment, it became apparent to me that I’m getting old. Yes, I know at 30 years old, I’m still young. But I’m getting old. Time is flying. I suddenly became gut-wrenchingly aware that before I know it, I am going to be standing before our Lord, accounting for my life. Morbid, I know. But true. It really got me thinking about how I am using this life God has given me.

It’s probably not a coincidence that these thoughts came on the heel of Vision Night with Craig. If you joined us for Vision Night last week, you heard Craig say repeatedly that we are all ministers. We are all needed. We are needed to serve in our church. We are needed to serve outside the church. We are needed to pour into children. We are needed to pour into other women. We are needed to share the freeing news of Jesus Christ with those who don’t know him. We are needed to intercede for others.

Everyday the Lord places before us opportunities to serve him by serving others. I know I am missing opportunities. All too often I get caught up in daily activities (yes, I suffer from Martha syndrome) and don’t have eyes to see the opportunities He has blessed me with. People he has placed in my path. Situations He has placed me in.

So what should I do to stop missing the opportunities? For me, the first step is to pray for eyes to see. Before my feet even hit the carpet, I need to have my heart and mind focus on God. Maybe that means waking before the kids and doing my quiet time first thing in the morning. Whatever it means, it needs to happen. I am only given one life to live and I want to make my Heavenly Daddy proud of how I used it.

What about you? You are needed. What is God calling you to do? How are you using the life God has given you? What steps can you take today to start living in His will?

Lord, give me eyes to see the opportunities you place before me. I long for my life to honor you. Reveal to me the areas where I am not being a good steward of the gifts, experiences, and opportunities you have given me. I pray that one day you will look at me and say, “well done, good and faithful servant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment