Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Godly Imitation

"I want to take your word and shine it all around.
But first help me just to live it Lord."
Oh Lord, You're Beautiful

Adalyn got her first baby doll a few weeks ago. She held it for a few moments, tried to eat it's nose, and then tossed it aside. Caleb, on the other hand, swooped in and can often be found toting it around. He hugs it, kisses it, comforts it, changes it's diaper, sings to it, brings it toys to play with, the list could go on and on. He does all these things because he is imitating what he sees. Both Brian and I are constantly loving on and caring for our children. We strongly believe that the first step to our children truly understanding the love of Christ, is to understand our love for them. We try not to miss an opportunity to demonstrate that love through our actions. So it warms my heart when I see him being so loving, compassionate, and nurturing. It's such a beautiful example of the power of our actions.

Ephesians 5:1 says, "[i]mitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children." What does that look like? The Bible calls us to love our neighbors (and our enemies). To treat others like we would like them to treat us. To only speak words that are helpful in building others up. To give to the needy. To be slow to anger. To be humble.

What are you demonstrating by your actions? What does your husband see? Your children? Coworkers? Friends? The cashier at the grocery store? What do your actions say about you? What do they say about your Father? Do they see someone who speaks encouragement and truth, or someone who gossips? Do they see someone who gives generously, or someone who is tight-fisted. Do they see someone who gives glory to God, or someone who boasts in their own glory? Do they see someone who extends grace, or responds in anger?

We have a duty to be a light in this world. To share Christ's love. To share His grace. To share the hope that can only be found through Him. The best way to do that is by living as an example. By honoring God with our actions. By imitating Him in everything that we do.

Lord, thank you. Thank you for loving me. For caring for me. For teaching me. Heavenly Father, help me to imitate you in everything that I do. In the big things, and the small things. In all things, everyday. Lord, I am so grateful that I am your dear child, and that I have you to show me how to live. I love you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment