Monday, November 14, 2011

Follower of What?

"For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.”

Matthew 18:20


I was so blessed to have lunch with a friend this week. As we visited about what was going on in our lives, I realized the conversation was consistently focused on God. That wasn’t the goal of us getting together. We were just getting together to catch up. But as we spoke, it became evident that God has permeated every area of our lives. We shared what He is teaching us. What He is bringing us through. What He is convicting us of.


As I drove home, I was reminded of Matthew 18:20. "For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” I have heard this verse countless times. And honestly, I have used it casually when leading prayer. But as I meditated on the verse, I realized I am just now understanding what it really means.


"For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.”


The key is “followers.” When followers gather together, God is there. What does it mean to be a follower of Christ? A true follower of Christ is obsessed with Him. Followers think about Him constantly. Followers are in continual conversation with Him. Their entire existence revolves around Him. They have eternal perspective. They walk in moment-by-moment obedience. So naturally, when followers gather together, they can't help but radiate Him. He is there with them.


What do your conversations reveal about what you are obsessed with? What do you spend your time thinking about? Are you a follower of Christ, or a follower of this world?


Heavenly Father, oh how I long to be your follower. I know it is not an easy path, but I also know that my reward in heaven far outweighs any reward this world can offer me. I pray that my hunger and thirst for righteousness is never satisfied, that I am obsessed with You for all of my days, and that I radiate Your love to everyone I encounter. I love you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment