Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Details

One of the things I love most about Bible study is how God speaks through His word, whispering different things to different people, through the same text.

The other night, as Brian and I were downloading about our day, he began to share about what God has been showing him in his daily Bible reading. Brian is doing the One Year Bible reading plan, and had just read through Exodus. If you haven’t read Exodus before, here is a little taste.
“Make a table of acacia wood—two cubits long, a cubit wide and a cubit and a half high. Overlay it with pure gold and make a gold molding around it. Also make around it a rim a handbreadth wide and put a gold molding on the rim. Make four gold rings for the table and fasten them to the four corners, where the four legs are. The rings are to be close to the rim to hold the poles used in carrying the table. Make the poles of acacia wood, overlay them with gold and carry the table with them. And make its plates and dishes of pure gold, as well as its pitchers and bowls for the pouring out of offerings.”
Wow. Talk about details. It may be easy to gloss over those words, after all, they aren’t quite as captivating as, say, the drama of Genesis that you know I love so much, but God used that text to speak to both Brian and I, in very different ways. You can read about what God showed Brian HERE.

As for me, as I pondered the inclusion of all those minute details, I had a moment of clarity. God cares about the details. God cares about all the different facets of our lives. He cares about what we do with our time. What we watch on television. The music we listen to. Who our friends are. What we wear. What we read. What we talk about. What we think about. How we care for our bodies. How we treat each other. How we spend our money. He cares about EVERY detail in our life.

Being a fully devoted follower of Christ means that every area of our life is His. In means we must ask Him daily to show us areas of our lives where we are not honoring Him. It’s not easy. It is sacrifice. The Bible calls us to choose to deny our fleshly desires every day (Luke 9:23). Certainly, that’s not easy. But we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13). What are you holding back that you need to sacrifice to Him?

Heavenly Father, I know you love me so much that you care about every detail of my life. I desire so deeply to honor you in every area of my life. Lord, I pray that you reveal to me where I am not glorifying you, and give me the wisdom and strength to sacrifice those areas to You. Thank you for your patience and grace, as I strive to align my life with your guidance. I love you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment